I was once sitting in my high school junior-year English course, writing a detailed characterization about main character, Edna, from the novel, The Awakening, by Kate Chopin, when I felt that I stumbled upon one fascinating but seemingly inescapable truth about life:
Everyone (every.single.person) has a secret…even the hero.
I honestly couldn’t tell if this “discovery” provided me with a sense of relief or despair.
As a person who has held the virtue of honesty in high regard, I’ve always been a bit fascinated by secrets.
- Why people have them?
- How long can people keep them?
- What are they hiding?
- How far would they go to keep a secret?
What’s even more fascinating to me are the secrets maintained between two people in a romantic relationship.
- Can a romantic relationship with secrets survive?
- Are some secrets “necessary”?
- If you could honestly read the thoughts of your significant other…would you end up staying?
Things that make you go “Hmmm…”, right…?
I am fairly certain that many of my upcoming books will be romantic thrillers, not just because I love the genre so much, but also because secrets lie at the very heart of this genre…and I never met a secret that wasn’t worth exploring.